Australian batsman David Warner expressed frustration at how long it has taken Cricket Australia to apply to have his lifetime leadership ban reviewed. On Monday, Cricket Australia (CA) announced they have opened the door for players and officials to have long-term sanctions changed following a change to their code of conduct for players and player support staff.
The move was announced on Monday following a request at the October board meeting, meaning players and officials can now ask to have their sanctions heard by a three-person review panel. Players were not entitled to have a penalty reviewed once it was accepted under the previous law, but under the new rule, long-term penalties can be eased if they can prove they have shown remorse and their behavior has changed.
“I’m not a criminal. You should be given the right to appeal at some point. I understand they put in a ban, but banning someone for life I think is a bit harsh,” he said during a promotion event that was not hosted by CA, Warner was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo. Being portrayed negatively in this process at a time when Australia is undergoing a transition in leadership in limited overs cricket really irked Warner.
David Warner has slammed Cricket Australia for treating him like a criminal, with the lifetime leadership ban over sandpapergate. Now a complicated code of conduct review will allow him to undo it. https://t.co/z2KW91Iw7b @NatYoannidis #7NEWS pic.twitter.com/wULV7cGXLq— 7NEWS Melbourne (@7NewsMelbourne) November 21, 2022
“Where it’s been disappointing, it’s taken so long to get to where it is. It grew up in February of this year, I think. So it’s drawn out. It’s traumatic for me and my family and everyone else involved We didn’t have to go into that detail. We didn’t have to relive what happened,” he added. “It’s frustrating because we could have done this about nine months ago when it first came up,” Warner said. “It’s a shame that Finchy obviously retired and then they accelerated it in their own way. But it’s a bit disappointing that when you make a decision in 2018, it’s in four days, and then it’s nine months . So that’s the hard part. It actually makes me look like I’m campaigning, which I’m not at all. So from my perspective, that’s where it was disappointing,” he added.
On Monday, the board released a statement saying that the review’s recommendations have been accepted and formally approved. Now Warner can apply to have his ban changed. “Under the changes, players and support staff can now apply to have long-term sanctions changed,” said a statement from Cricket Australia.
“Each application will be considered by a three-person review panel, consisting of independent Code of Conduct Commissioners, who must be satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances that warrant changing a sanction.
“These circumstances and considerations include whether the sanction subject has shown genuine remorse; the subject’s behavior since the sanction was imposed; whether rehabilitation programs have been completed (if applicable) and the time elapsed since the sanction was imposed and whether sufficient time has passed for reform or rehabilitation.
“The Code of Conduct states this process: ‘recognizes that players and player support staff are capable of genuine reform or rehabilitation and is intended to give the player or player support staff the opportunity to resume their previously held positions or responsibilities in specific circumstances.'” The hearing of an application is not an appeal or review of the sanction originally imposed,” the statement concluded.
The 35-year-old opening veteran has expressed interest in returning to a leadership role after captaining Sunrisers Hyderabad in the Indian Premier League (IPL). He also talked about how excited he is to help Sydney Thunder in Big Bash League (BBL) as a leader. Warner has also hinted he will retire from Test cricket next year, but will continue to play international cricket until the 2024 T20 World Cup, with Aussies likely to need a new captain for that tournament. (ANI)