An explosive interview with TalkTV this month – in which Ronaldo also said he had no respect for manager Erik ten Hag – had left him on shaky ground at the club which he rejoined in August 2021 after winning eight major trophies with them from 2003-2009.
United said last week they would not comment on Ronaldo’s comments until they had established the full facts, adding on Friday that they had taken “appropriate steps” in response.
“Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Manchester United by mutual agreement with immediate effect. The club thanks him for his tremendous contribution during two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family all the best for the future. ” United reports this in a statement.
Cristiano Ronaldo is leaving Manchester United by mutual agreement, effective immediately. The club thanks him for… https://t.co/Es6BWXIIpl
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) 1669138204000
“Everyone at United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Ten Hag and working together to achieve success on the pitch.”
Last month, Ten Hag said Ronaldo had refused to come on as a substitute against Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur when the striker walked into the tunnel with minutes of the game remaining after being benched.
The 37-year-old was then not part of the squad that faced Chelsea the following Saturday before returning to the squad.
Ronaldo later said in the interview that he regretted his early departure against Spurs, but added that his decision to walk away was because he felt “provoked” by Ten Hag.
Ronaldo said in a statement on Tuesday that he loved the club and the fans.
“…That will never change,” he added. “However, it feels like the right time for me to look for a new challenge. I wish the team the best of luck for the rest of the season and for the future.”