Three students, who were preparing for competitive college entrance exams at private coaching institutes, were reported to have died by suicide in Kota, Rajasthan on Monday. The police have started the investigation and the bodies have been taken to the autopsy. Two of them stayed in the same paying guest (PG) accommodation and were from Bihar.
Hindustan Times quoted Kota Superintendent of Police Keshar Singh Shekhawat as saying that two of those students were found hanging from a ceiling fan in the hostel. One was 19 years old while the second was 18.
“The two were Class XI students and had been staying in different rooms of the same PG for the past six months. We’re trying to find out if they were friends or not. The incidents came to light when the owner of the hostel informed the police control room,” Shekhawat said.
The incident came to light when the innkeeper became suspicious when one of the boys had been unresponsive to repeated knocks on the door since the morning. The owner then broke open the door and found him hanging.
The police officer went on to say that the second student’s sister, who was staying in the room next to the first boy, came to see him in the afternoon and said: “When he didn’t open the door, it was also broken open and that boy was also found hanging from the ceiling fan.”
No suicide notes have been found from the deceased and their mobile phones are being checked, police said. “Both lived in Kota for the past three years and probably died by suicide last night after dinner. The second boy had even called his sister last night,” the police said to HT.
In another incident, a 17-year-old student allegedly consumed a toxic substance and was rushed to hospital, where he died during treatment. Police reportedly said that the boy, a resident of Shivpuri in Madhya Pradesh, was preparing for the NEET, an exam taken by students seeking admission to medical colleges.
“Last night he was found unconscious in the gallery of the PG and was noticed by another student who had come there to fill water. He informed the hostel owner who took the boy to a hospital where he was pronounced dead,” Ganga Sahay Sharma, SHO, Kunadi Police Station told HT. No suicide note was found during the search, but a bottle of rat poison was taken from the room.
disclaimer:This news item can be a trigger. If you or someone you know needs help, please call one of these helplines: Aasra (Mumbai) 022-27546669, Sneha (Chennai) 044-24640050, Sumaitri (Delhi) 011-23389090, Cooj (Goa) 0832- 2252525, Jeevan (Jamshedpur ) 065-76453841, Pratheeksha (Kochi) 048-42448830, Maithri (Kochi) 0484-2540530, Roshni (Hyderabad) 040-66202000, Lifeline 033-64643267 (Kolkata)
Read all the latest India news here