Mangaluru blast accused Mohammed Shariq of being very careful about using technology, top intelligence sources told CNN-News18 on Monday.
He knew about the connections and connections that can form in a probe and was extremely careful, she added.
Shariq never used a phone in his name and used fake IDs and SIM cards obtained with those identities, CNN-News18 has learned.
He had been radicalized since 2018 and became more radical after his 2020 arrest in the Lashkar case, the sources said.
On November 27, 2020, one day after the anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks, Mangaluru police rushed to an apartment complex in Kadri, where they found graffiti sympathizing with the LeT on the compound wall. “Don’t force us to invite Lashkar-E-Taiba and the Taliban to deal with Sanghis and Manuvadis #LashkariZindabad,” the message on the wall read.
A month later, after a thorough investigation, Mangaluru Police arrested Mohammed Shariq and Mazz Muneer Ahmed.
Shariq’s idea was to continue attacking, big or small, without coming into the picture, sources said.
He had a small gang and its members were assigned isolated tasks, they added.
His group also had members of the Al-Hind module of Islamic State (ISIS) who wanted to do something really big before they died.
They had identified places of high impact, and agencies believe Shariq’s questioning is crucial in learning more about the connections. He is currently in hospital after sustaining injuries in the blast.
Read all the latest India news here